- When My Brother Was an Aztec by Natalie Diaz (poetry)
- Kingdom Animalia by Aracelis Grimay (poetry)
- Angels in America by Tony Kushner (play)
- Brother, I’m Dying by Edwidge Danticat (memoir)
- To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (novel)
- Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri (short stories)
- Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin (novel)
- Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison (novel)
- The Branch Will Not Break by James Wright (poetry)
- Jesus’ Son by Dennis Johnson (short stories)
The authors and editors at Tired Hearts Press are putting together summer reading lists. Here's mine. Also, check out the Tired Hearts Tumblr to see more lists.
My poem "Nobody is Lost" is in the Summer 2013 issue of Indiana Review! Can't wait to get back to Ithaca from touring and check out my contributor copies. Looks like a great lineup!
1. My first book, Good Grief, won the Devil's Kitchen Reading Award for Poetry! Looks like I'll be reading at the Devil's Kitchen Literary Festival at SIU in October. And being fancy. And winning. And getting money.
2. I just got back to Chicago from the Little Bones tour w/ Josh Gaines and Benjamin Clark! We have all sorts of pretty photos up on our Tumblr. I'll probably write something more in depth soon, but it was really an honor and a pleasure to tour with these gentlemen!
3. We still have a few sets of the Little Bones Tour Books available. They are pretty sweet. Each "Little Bones" set includes a small chapbook from all of us (Me, Ben, and Josh). They are are also handmade, letter pressed, and very pretty. If you'd like one, get at me.
4. I will be spending the rest of the summer working on getting the manuscript-in-progress for my second full-length collection ready for submission to contests (with a brief break for the Pink Door Women's Writing Retreat & Good Idea Summit). I will be doing a limited amount of readings in the fall to focus on teaching, but I am hoping to hit the road again for part of my winter break.
We'll be posting any updates to our tour schedule on the Little Bones Tour Tumblr. This is the current schedule (also on the Tumblr).
May 25th—Milwaukee—People’s Books Cooperative
6:30 p.m.—804 E. Center St., Milwaukee WI.—FREE
May 26th—Chicago—Little Bones Departure Shows
Our schedule/hosts for the day:
12 p.m. Rachel Durchslag (private invitation)*
3 p.m. Gwynne Johnson and William Gordon (private invitation)*
7 p.m. Ben Clark and Debra Kayes (open invitation)—4427 N. Wolcott #2A
*If you cannot make it to the 7 p.m. open show, but can make it to an earlier show, let me know and I can try and get you on the guest list!
May 28th—Lincoln, NE—Ekphrastic Poetry Workshop at the Sheldon Museum
10:00-1:00 p.m.—Sheldon Museum, 12th and R Streets—FREE
For more information or to sign up please contact the Sheldon at 402.472.4524 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 28th—Lincoln, NE—Bourbon Theatre
Doors at 7:30 p.m., 8 p.m. SP CE studio poets, 9 p.m. feature—1415 O St.—$4 cover
with house band Brother’s Family Temple and SP CE studio poets Travis Davis, Paul Hanson Clark, Justin Ryan Fyfe, Ruth Kohtz, Jeff Tinnean, and Katie FS
May 29th—Oklahoma City—Red Dirt Poetry
7:30 sign up, 8 p.m. start—2912 Paseo, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
with the 2013 Red Dirt Slam Team
May 30th—Houston—Poetry and Songwriters Showcase
Doors at 8 p.m.—Anderson Fair, 2007 Grant—$10
hosted by Ken Gaines and Wayne Wilkerson
June 1st—Denton—Spiderweb Salon
Doors at 8 p.m., show at 9 p.m.—J&J’s Pizza On The Square, 118 W. Oak St.—FREE
with Colin Winnette, Alex Smelser, Cole Dalton, Hayley Caldwell, Jordan Batson, Sarah Ruth, Shelby Orr, and more!
June 2nd—Kerrville—Hastings Books Music @ Video
2 p.m.—501 Main St.—FREE
June 2nd—Austin—The Austin Poetry Potluck
doors at 7:30, show at 8—Longbranch Inn, 1133 E. 11th St.—$5 or bring enough snacks for 12
with Spork’s Colin Winnette, Foxing Quarterly’s Hannah McClellan and Montsho Jarreau Thoth, Write Bloody’s Derrick Brown and Jason Bayani, poets from Timber Mouse and musical guest Hot Carl and the Hot Carl’s
June 3rd—Denton—J&J’s Pizza on the Square
7 p.m.—118 W. Oak St.—$5
with Colin Winnette, Ella Minnow, and Hares on the Mountain
June 4th—Joplin—Joplin Disaster Relief Show
details TBA shortly
June 6th—Iowa City—Strange Cage 12
8 p.m.—Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St.
with Russell Jaffe, Chelsea Tadeyeske and Edwin R. Perry of Plumberries Press, Adam Edelman, and Justin Wymer
I have three poems, "A Lusting, "Swoon Song," and "Manners," appearing in the eighth print issue of PANK Magazine. PANK was one of the first lit mags to ever take any of my poems (for PANK 4), and I'm really excited to be appearing in their magazine for a second time with poems from my new manuscript. This whole issue is really pretty. Please support PANK and order yourself a copy! They have been and keep doing great things for the literary community.
I am very excited to announce that Good Grief, my first book, won the Independent Publisher Book Awards (IPPY) Bronze for Poetry! I am also super excited that Marty McConnell's book Wine for a Shot Gun got the silver! When I lived in Chicago, I regularly attended Marty's community workshop series, Vox Ferus After Dark. She's been both a great friend and a huge influence on my writing.
My quintessential MIchigan poem for Eminem, "Two Trailer Park Girls Go 'Round the Outside," is up on Indiefeed! Super excited to be included amongst so many talented poets. When I was first getting interested in performance poetry, I spent a lot of time listening to poems on this site, many of which I know nearly by heart.
Albion College saying nice things about me and the other Top 10 in 10 Young Alumni Award recipients, alongside the most terrible photo ever: